Go to navigation (press enter key)

News

Internationally acclaimed writer Hari Kunzru discusses “Race, Writing, and Literature,” February 15, 2010.

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY— Hari Kunzru, the internationally acclaimed author of The Impressionist, Transmission, and My Revolutions, will speak at Vassar on Monday, February 15. Free and open to the public, the lecture and reading will begin at 7:00pm in Sanders Hall, Spitzer Auditorium. The program, “Race, Writing, and Literature,” is sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Faculty and the South Asian Students' Alliance.

“I have taught Hari Kunzru's novels in my courses here at Vassar. Like his contemporaries Zadie Smith and even Dave Eggers, Kunzru is very interested in the culture of displacement,” remarked Amitava Kumar, professor of English at Vassar. “Kunzru writes about shifts in populations, but also in people's lives. He is that rare thing, a truly political writer. What especially impresses me about him is that he is keen about politics and at the same time witty and inventive. I'm really looking forward to his visit.”

Named one of Granta Magazine’s Best Young British Novelists, Kunzru’s first novel The Impressionist (2002) won the Betty Trask prize, the Somerset Maugham Award, the Pendleton May first novel award, and the John Llewellyn Rhys prize (which he declined). His next two novels, Transmission (2004) and My Revolutions (2007) were both featured in the New York Times “Notable Book of the Year” lists.

Kunzru’s short fiction has appeared in the New Yorker, The Guardian, and various anthologies. During 2008–09, Kunzru held a fellowship at the Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers at the New York Public Library. He is the deputy president of English PEN. His website is http://www.harikunzru.com/.

People with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the Office of Campus Activities at (845) 437-5370. Directions to the Vassar Campus are available online at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Tuesday, February 2, 2010