Go to navigation (press enter key)

News

Author Jess Row to read from his widely-praised novel, Your Face in Mine, September 23, 2014

Novelist Jess Row will read from his acclaimed new book, Your Face in Mine, on Tuesday, September 23, at 6 pm. The reading will take place in Taylor Hall, room 203, and is free and open to the public. This event is sponsored by the English Department and the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.

Your Face in Mine explores a world in which what the author calls “racial reassignment surgery” is a reality. The novel centers on Kelly, a down-on-his-luck widower, who encounters an old friend who has altered his race from white to black. The New York Times says of the book, “You turn the pages without being aware you are turning them.” Your Face in Mine has also been called "flat-out brilliant" (Los Angeles Times) and "furiously smart" (Publisher's Weekly).

Row is the author of the story collections The Train to Lo Wu and Nobody Ever Gets Lost. He was named a Best Young American Novelist by Granta in 2007 and his fiction has won two Pushcart Prizes and a Whiting Award. Row’s work has appeared three times in The Best American Short Stories.

The reading will be followed by a question-and-answer period.

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, August 27, 2014